Friday, April 24, 2009

Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man by Khandyce Menard


I’ll admit it, the thought of taking love and relationship advice from a stand-up comedian seemed a little silly at first. Don’t get me wrong, Steve Harvey is one of my all-time favorite comedians, but how could you take him seriously? And how embarrassing would it be riding the train and displaying to the world, (or at least just the E Line), that not only am I’m desperate enough to be reading a book on relationships, I’m taking my cues from Steve Harvey?!

Then something happened. At the bus stop, in class, at work, and even on the train, everyone was reading this book! So I swallowed my pride and bought it, I mean, they all couldn’t be desperate. Surprisingly enough, even though it isn’t as juicy as a Záne book, it’s still one of the best reads I’ve had in a while.

With chapters called “Men Respect Standards-Get Some” and “Sports-Fish vs. Keepers,” Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man manages to maintain the humor you would expect from Harvey without turning the entire book, and your love life, into a joke.

Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man has a serious side as well. Harvey seems genuinely interested in enlightening women on how to increase their own self-value, and in turn the value that men will place on them. He also gives all of the signs that we should be looking for to know whether we found a guy that wants to get serious, or one that is just playing with us. His Ninety-Day Plan may be a little over-ambitious for some, but his advice on everything else seems to be reasonable and helpful.

It’s broken down just the way men think, very simply, which makes it a quick and easy read (I finished in two train rides). There were a lot of “duh” moments and common sense things you should’ve known, but needed to be written in a NY Times Bestselling book, before you would believe.


I give this book an A. It’s not an award worthy book, but for a self-help book I would definitely recommend it to ALL women- single, dating, married, or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment